- lectures : 20h
- seminars: 24
- independent work: 86h
Homework for each class can be found here
CLASS 3 (14.10)
The Qualitative Research session on Wednesday 14th Oct will deal with issues concerning ‘theory’ in qualitative research.
Before the session, please read the two provided articles (Fendler 2003; Maaranen & Krokfors 2007) in a comparative way: Both of the articles discuss reflective practices in teacher education, but their approaches are very different. Please consider and compare the following aspects:
- What is the research problem of each article?
- How does the literature review and the theoretical approach contribute to the articulation of the research problem in each article?
- What are the main arguments/results reported in each article?
Read my article (Kaukko 2015) and think, how action research could contribute to your practice with multicultural groups of people (your student community, people you volunteer with…). What kind of participation, action and research is relevant in the context which you know best?
Read the following articles: Narrative Methods Looking Back Looking Forward and Spector-Mersel Time for a paradigm. You do not need to prepare anything beforehand, but Minna will use these two articles as basis for her discussion in class next week.
By the end of the course, EDGLO-students will complete two assignments:
1. prepare an essay (5pg, font 12, line spacing 1,5 ) on a qualitative method chosen by you. Hand in by December 16th 2015, 16:00 (submit by email)
2. Prepare mini-research with pair/group (max 4 students), present to class in March 2016.